Sunday, September 19, 2004

THE DRIVER CONNECTION


Percy, computer nerd in training


The Driver Connection
by Janice Price


The CD-RW had a will of its own. The drive opened and closed without prompting on my brother Doug’s computer, so he offered it to me. He’d misplaced the software, but drivers can be downloaded from the Internet.

Yesterday he popped in to install it. There was only one cable, so he disconnected the CD/ROM and connected the CD-RW. As expected, Windows didn’t recognize the new hardware.

Lately, the modem has to be uninstalled before each shut-down in order for the drivers and correct settings to be loaded, so it was a while before he was connected to the Internet to search for the CD-RW drivers. By then, that drive was opening and closing on its own on this machine also. It had no software program to tell it what to do, but it was exercising away.

Open; close; open; close; half-open; close; uh-uh-uh-uh-open; close; open; jam; etc.

After about twenty minutes of this, I was ready to punch its trap door shut. Doug turned to me and calmly asked, "Annoying, isn’t it?"

It was such a bald understatement I had to laugh. But the open, close, uh-uh-uh-open continued until he disconnected the CD-RW.

The drivers couldn’t be found on the company site or any driver site, so Doug turned his attention to the modem driver problem. We both wondered if the dial-up adapter might be part of the problem, but he didn’t have time to mess with it. Unfortunately, I did. There was a problem with it, and when Windows tried to download necessary files from the Windows CD, it suddenly stopped downloading and deleted the adapter altogether.

The computer rebooted and an anti-virus dialog box popped open to inform me my email couldn’t be scanned because I had no network connection. Then another box opened, and if I might paraphrase it, it read, "Hey, gullible, you have no Internet connection, so click on this button to go online to our web site." Since software is only as intelligent as the one who wrote the program, this tickled my funny bone.

Drivers are software programs that introduce a piece of hardware to an operating system so they can become better acquainted. If they’re compatible, we’re able to forward jokes to all our friends.

God’s word is a spiritual driver. Unlike my computer drivers, it’s reliable, compatible and it can’t be accidentally deleted. Load, along with prayer, at every daily start-up.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12 NIV)

© 2004 Janice Price
mercyandpercy@yahoo.com
www.mercyandpercy.com

2 comments:

Girl_Christian said...

God makes the cutest creatures!
savedbyjesus.blogspot.com
Christianlifepoems.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It's me Carolyn, I just wanted to see if you would get this. I posted anom. because I couldn't sign in. Good work