Saturday, October 23, 2004

TRUST NOT IN A CELL PHONE

Trust not in a Cell Phone
by Janice Price

Jane is leaning forward, one arm resting on the back of the empty chair in front of her. The other arm is gesturing as she talks. She leans too far forward and suddenly she disappears from sight. The domino effect takes over and chairs overturn. Two or three men leap to her rescue. She reappears, unhurt and laughing, and continues talking.

In normal circumstances, I have empathy for embarrassing moments such as this one. This time I laugh, not at Jane’s sudden drop, but at the unexpected mental image of my mother’s shock and disbelief as she slid out of her wheelchair several evenings earlier.

She wasn’t clumsy. She was trying a full-chair cushion in her wheelchair to keep her warm. It’s thickness forced her to sit a little higher and a bit forward. Evidently, it was also a bit slippery because when she reached for something, she slid off the cushion.

I wasn’t laughing when I heard about it. I was terrified she was injured. She held onto her cordless telephone as she fell and called my brother to lift her off the floor. I was relieved when he called to let me know she was okay. Then I went into panic mode.

First, I thought I should get a second telephone line in case Mother needs to reach me while I am on the Internet. No, it will be easier to get a cell phone, I decided, in case I’m not home if she has an emergency. But I can’t afford either option. What should I do?

Trust me. There was that inner voice, the one that brings peace and resolution in times of unbalanced thinking. The voice of reason reminding me that God is aware of all aspects of any problem and there is a point where we have to let go and allow him to work it out for everyone’s benefit. A cell phone is not the solution.

He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. If you make the Most High your dwelling –even the LORD, who is my refuge – then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. “Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.” Psalm 91: 4, 9-12, 14 (NIV)

I am human and I have limitations. I can’t watch over Mother 24/7. Cell phones have limitations also. Too often they are out of range of a transmitter in this area, as well as in other areas. But Psalm 121:3 (NIV) tells us, He will not let your foot slip – he who watches over you will not slumber.

God’s reminder that Mother is in his capable hands gives me comfort. As Jane slid out of her folding chair and I envisioned Mother sliding out of her wheelchair, I was able to laugh because I was at peace with trusting him.

© 2004 Janice Price
mercyandpercy@yahoo.com
www.mercyandpercy.com

No comments: