Sunday, December 12, 2004

AFTER THE STORM

After the Storm
by Janice Price

The rain began in earnest as I pulled out of my brother’s yard. The sky darkened, and even with the windshield wipers clicking rapidly, it was hard to see the lanes in the road. I left my dog Merci in the car while I ran the short distance into the auto parts store to return a brake spoon. As the clerk processed the return, the storm intensified. I hated to leave the warm, dry building, but Merci was happy to see she wouldn’t have to suffer the storm alone.

It wasn’t far to Mother’s. I sped up her stairs to leave some things she needed, anxious to get home and into some dry clothes, but when I left I realized I had forgotten one other important stop and I would need to retrace part of my route. It wasn’t a pleasant prospect.

The rain stopped as suddenly as it began. Intent on where I was going, around the curve on the hill, I almost missed it. But I glanced to the east and was bedazzled by the beauty of a rainbow.

Oh, what a cheerful sight. Undaunted by the dark clouds rolling across the sky as the storm moved northeast, the rainbow reflected such rich color it couldn’t be contained in one arch alone. It was a double rainbow.

I pulled into a parking lot where two women were standing, just as entranced as I was. I wished there were a camera handy to capture the beauty of this special moment. After the intensity of the downpour and the early darkness, the rainbow lighted up the sky, almost as if God was smiling down and saying, See, I’m always with you, even through life’s storms.

Life is full of storms. Some are as a gentle mist, others are as hurricanes. Sometimes they seem to arrive from all directions and pound us with gale force winds that can even topple a mighty oak tree.

Storms strengthen our faith. They teach us to look to God for the endurance and courage to weather them. As we become stronger, we help and encourage others to stand strong in their own storms.

Thunderstorms are intimidating, especially when the thunder rolls directly overhead, or a lightning bolt hits a transformer or starts a fire, but God is with us through the sunshine, as well as through the darkness.

The darker and more intense the storm, the brighter the rainbow God has waiting on the other side.

© 2004 Janice Price
mercyandpercy@yahoo.com
www.mercyandpercy.com

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Hey, Jan! I've seen that rainbow!:-) God is so awesome. It certainly DOES make you wish you had a camera for such a breath-taking moment! And like you said so eloquently, life is full of storms--all sizes. What would we do without the Lord?

Thanks for another beautiful story.
Hope you're enjoying your new computer!

hugs,
Vicki

Janice said...

Hey, Vicki,

You probably saw the same rainbow I did. And it was awesome!

I'm having an adventure with the new system, thank you for asking. :-)

Returning the hug. Keep writing.
Jan

Michael said...

Thats very good writing.

I wanted to thank your for commenting on my blog, so thanks. I really appreciate the encouragement.

God bless.

Janice said...

Mike,

It's encouraging to me to read a teenager's writings about his belief in God. Don't ever lose faith!

Jan