Wednesday, May 25, 2005

FORGETTING TO REMEMBER

Forgetting to Remember
by Janice Price

"I don’t mind helping but don’t ask me to cook anything". That’s my usual reply when asked to participate in any meal preparation. My cooking skills have not been improving with age but they are growing more creative.

A few months ago I tried to bake innovative pies. It didn’t surprise me that the mixture didn’t fill the pie plates. So many products today have higher prices and shrinking measurements. But I was surprised when I began to put away the baking supplies. I didn’t remember buying an extra, large can of pumpkin. The pies were tasty, although the main ingredient was added to hot, spiced milk in crusts.

Today, I baked Mother some corn muffins. I mixed self-rising flour, egg, milk, oil, and sugar. I spooned the mixture into a greased muffin pan, popped it into a hot oven and started to put away the baking supplies. Oops.

I have noticed various omissions occur most often when I am rushed or distracted. I sometimes email the neighborhood watch president, “Here are the meeting minutes”, but forget to attach them.

I write things down so I don’t forget why I am going into the kitchen or what I need at the store, but I still sometimes have to drive home to pick up my shopping list.

Today I neglected to follow an important physical dress code - always wear matching shoes. I wonder whether anyone noticed a shopper wearing one brown shoe and one black sneaker.

I’m not alone in dealing with embarrassing or comical lapses of memory, but bloopers are minor faults, which affect my pride and can usually be corrected with a little ingenuity or a change of shoes.

Major faults affect others and can do irreparable damage to a relationship. For example, when I forget to remember the standard Jesus set and raise my voice in anger, using words I can’t erase. When I am rude, pushy or abrasive to others. When I am impatient and don’t take the time to listen to someone who is lonely or to slow my step to another’s pace. When I focus on another’s imperfections and am blind to my own. When I forget to remember that a smile or a word of praise can make a difference in another’s day.

Today I sprinkled a little corn meal on top of the muffins and stirred each with the tip of a spoon handle. The muffins tasted fine, though different. But a sprinkle of corn meal on the open wound of someone I have offended won’t relieve the pain.

© 2005 Janice Price
mercyandpercy@yahoo.com
www.mercyandpercy.com

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Hi Jan! I can surely relate to some of those incidents you described:-) Once I even brushed my teeth with progesterone cream, since I left it sitting right beside my toothpaste near the bathroom sink. YUK, huh? ;-)Another time I mistakenly took my TV remote to work with me, thinking it was my cell phone. Imagine the laughter around me when I tried to call my daughter at lunch time that day!

Jan, you have a gift for drawing wonderful analogies in life, and I'm always blessed by your writing. Keep it up!

{{{{hugs}}}