Saturday, March 18, 2006

AS FOR MY HOUSE

A couple of years ago I opened a Bible translation I seldom used for reference, enclosed it in plastic wrap to protect the pages from dust, and propped it on the mantel in my living room. A handwritten note is prominently attached to one page by a paperclip: But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

After the Israelites had rested for a time in the land God gave them, Joshua led the Israelites in a review of how God had kept His promises to them, and he reminded them of the promise the Israelites had made to God to keep His laws and worship Him only.

“Choose you this day whom ye will serve,” Joshua challenged them, “but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15)

The Israelites renewed their covenant. “We will serve the LORD our God and obey Him.”

This is my desire also. It does not matter that this house has more four-footed occupants than human residents. A single human inhabitant can still serve the Lord.

Anyone who has read the Bible knows how long the resolve of the Israelites lasted and how succeeding generations seesawed in their worship between the LORD God and the gods of other cultures. A strong and faithful king would lead them in destroying foreign altars and turning back to God. A faithless king would lead them back into idolatry.

Before conversion, human hearts are corrupt and follow after other gods – money, power, temporal success, youth, “lusts of the flesh,” worldly fun and entertainment – to name a few. When the Holy Spirit begins to work in a heart, the gilt begins to wear off the other gods, their rust starts to show, and a desire to serve the true God grows and matures.

This house is small, the paint is peeling, the floor is sagging, the bedroom carpet gets damp every time it rains, and the landlord is lax in fixing things, but those things are not as important in serving God as the condition and furnishings of my heart.

Although I can not do anything about the size of the house, more room can be made in my heart as obsolete anger, toxic relationships, fears, idols and false religious teachings are identified and discarded. Gradually, priorities change, creativity is given room to breathe, and God’s light illuminates every nook and cranny.

I am looking forward to the day when my spiritual heart is functioning at full capacity. Meanwhile, the Bible sits on my mantel as a continual reminder that “me and my house” serve the LORD.

What about you and your house?

www.mercyandpercy.com



2 comments:

Vicki said...

Just stopping by to say hello and leave a hug!

*~Tey~* said...

God is so great. In the last few days God has been giving me a great hunger for him. I just love him and I just want to talk to him all the time. Thanks for sharing! God bless you!