Wednesday, April 19, 2006

BRANCHES OF SIN

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1 (NIV)

I was walking home from a nearby grocery store one evening when I noticed a great tree limb from next door was no longer hanging above my tree. Its branches were now entangled with the branches of my tree. Either that huge branch was coming down or my tree had a phenomenal growth spurt.

The previous Sunday a big tree limb fell on the electric lines over the house across the street. It was the day of the booming explosions and the fireballs directly over that neighbor's roof.

He was fortunate. His compost heap caught fire but his roof did not. The event did knock out all the power in the extended neighborhood. It was the final day of the Fire Department's boot drive and there were two firemen and a fire truck less than a block away. It did not take long for the fire truck to arrive or for the electric company to follow.

If the large branch from the tree next door snapped, it could do extensive damage. The power lines to my meter run through my tree branches. The tree is too close to the house. Besides terrorizing the neighborhood, a close-up performance of that weekend’s fireworks could set my tree on fire and I would be able to barbecue hot dogs on the roof.

This experience reminded me of how blind we can be to sin, not realizing its branches are enveloping us. We listen to gossip and repeat it. We ask a child to tell someone we aren’t home and then confuse the issue by telling the child that lying is wrong – except when mommy or daddy gives permission. We adopt pets and then take them to the pound when they outgrow the “cute stage” or become an inconvenience. And then we wonder why our children cart us off to nursing homes when we become an inconvenience to them.

It seemed reasonable to assume the electric company might prefer helping me now to repairing any emergency damage to their lines later. I called them and was assured they would. They were here within the hour, even though it was well past sundown. They checked the trees and lopped off the offending branches.

God is also amenable to helping us before we have an emergency situation. He will disentangle us from the branches of sin if we call on Him in prayer.

www.mercyandpercy.com

5 comments:

Paul said...

Good Morning Jan,

Nope, I have not fallen off the planet. Been busy moving things from the desktop to the laptop before the desktop gave up. Had a lot to transfer and save.

I will be posting today sometime and then back on regular schedule.

A really good post my friend. A timely one. It is so easy to get entagled with things, the little things, that rob us of the time that we need to spend with the Lord.

I will be moving sometime in June, to my youngest daughters home, since my oldest daughter and family are moving back to Texas. I will move about five miles away.

Be blessed my friend!

Writing for the King,

Paul

Josprel said...

Great article, Jan. You missed your calling; you should have been an evengelist. I certainly would have attented your tent meetings there in Georgia. Keep up the good writing. Just keep those tree limbs pruned. Hope you had an enjoyable Resurrection Sunday.

You Pal,

Joe

eph2810 said...

Oh, I am so happy that you enabled comments on your blog.
I know I haven't been here for awhile and that makes me sad. Your posts are always so encouraging.
Your are right. We sometimes forget that we live in total sin and we just don't see it. We want to be part of this world, but also want to be part of the kingdom. I take comfort that even though I am not perfect - God still loves me for who I am.

Vicki said...

Reminds me of 'beware the little foxes'...and yes, we are so easily entangled by much if we're not careful. Good reminder.

It does sadden me that my husband's parents are both in nursing homes--not that they're an inconvenience, but that the doctors insisted on round-the-clock medical care.

Procyon said...

Excellent post on the Branches of Sin. Deep and thought provoking.

As a fellow Christian blogger, I request you to check out my deeply spiritual blog at http://borax.wordpress.com

Sincerely
Rupert Borax