Thursday, July 20, 2006

ONE OF THOSE DAYS

It was one of those days. You know the type I mean – everyone has them, some more frequently than others. It was the type of day where everything I touched seemed to go wrong and I had to call my brother for help.

The day started easily. I walked the dogs, fed the animals, and ran in and out the door to clean litter pans. I raced around, stomach rumbling, dreaming of hot coffee and my own breakfast. As I headed out the door to bring in the last clean litter pan, the doorknob fell into pieces that rolled across the floor. This time the circa 1920 doorknob needed more than duct tape.

The day continued in that vein. By six p.m., car loaded with puppy chow and various purchases, I returned to pick up my three dogs where they had been enjoying some freedom in a fenced yard, loaded them in the car and turned the key in the ignition.

One mile can seem like two on a sweltering July day Add a heavy purse over one shoulder, the leashes of a rambunctious hound, a four-month-old thirty-pound puppy, and a reluctant-to-walk-with-the-puppy female dog in one hand and the handle of a cooler loaded with cold packs and cold/frozen foods in the other and that mile becomes ten. We labored – or rather, I labored and they walked – up the hill, stopping frequently to set down the cooler.

My brother changed his own schedule to fix the doorknob, charge my battery and, in this debilitating heat, replace the starter in my car. He did not have to do those things; he did them willingly, offering his time and skills without charge. I am grateful. In time, other occurrences of life will move this incident to the archived incident file cabinet and it will be just a dim memory.

Jesus willingly bore our sins and paid the penalty for our sins, in full and without charge. Through him we have hope where there was no hope.

And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins. But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Ephesians 2: 1, 4-8

.

The gospel of grace is free to all who will respond to it. This was made possible by the death and resurrection of Jesus. Now, that is a reason to be thankful! I pray you and I will never file this away in the archived incident file.


www.mercyandpercy.com

1 comment:

*~Tey~* said...

Yes, I have those days too. Isn't it great thought that we can call upon the Lord.

I have started a new project and I am wondering if you would like to be apart of it. Basically I want to collect postcards from people all over the world . I'm calling it Postcard Exchange (I've posted it on my blog if you want to read more about it) as I offer to send a postcard of Australia to anyone who will send me a postcard from their location. Are you interested? I hope you are as it's doubly cool to get a postcard from a familiar blogger.

Well let me know if you're interested by commenting on my blog or emailing me.