Tuesday, December 26, 2006

THE WAGGING TAIL

The phone rang on Christmas day and a friend asked, “We’re leaving to deliver some dinner plates. Is it all right to drop off one for you? We’ll be by in about thirty minutes.”

I decided to close my three dogs in the bedroom where they were sleeping on their blankets, so I could answer the door in peace. Just as I decided this, I received another telephone call. But, by holding the cordless phone in my left hand and moving slowly to protect my painful left arm, I was able to move the damp laundry hanging on the doors elsewhere. It was slow and tedious.

This house was built in the 1920s and the bedroom door into the kitchen doesn’t stay closed. I retrieved a ten-pound weight to block the door from inside the bedroom. Then I quietly backed out the door into the living room and closed it behind me.

Feeling pretty pleased with the success of my plan, I turned around and discovered Merci and her wagging tail were on the wrong side of the door. I forgot Merci likes to nap on a throw in the living room and I neglected to count heads. I just assumed Merci was among the sleeping dogs.

I have had the same experience with sin in my life. I abhor something I know God calls sin – it could be any sin, such as anger. I slowly and painstakingly work at overcoming it and moving it out of my life. I think I have finally made a little progress, turn around, and there it is staring me in the face, tail wagging, tongue hanging out and eager to see what mischief it can get into. Does this sound familiar in your life too?

This is the time of year when folks make a list of New Year’s resolutions. One will decide to lose weight, another to exercise regularly, one to quit procrastinating, another to give more and be less selfish, one to stop lying or stealing or drinking or being unfaithful – . Everyone has something that needs to be addressed whether or not it is on a formal list of resolutions.

Anyone who has ever made a list of New Year’s resolutions knows how hard they are to keep. You are convicted of the need to change yourself or your circumstances, but the reality is that just because you have decided to painstakingly make a list of changes, launching and sustaining the changes takes work, commitment and perseverance. In might also take some sacrifice. .

There is nothing magical about the year changing from 2006 to 2007. As you step from one year into the next one, don’t be surprised when you turn around and find your propensity for sin is on the same side of the year you are, with tail wagging, tongue hanging out, and eager to see what mischief it can get into.

But don’t despair. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Heb 4:15

Sin can appear so cute and enticing at times, an innocent act or word that sneaks up and catches you with your guard down. Always wear your armor and stay close to Christ, in the Word.

So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation. Heb 9:28

Have a blessed 2007.

www.mercyandpercy.com/

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Hope you had a cozy Christmas, Jan! The Lord bless you now, and all through the New Year!

Good post. I think the reason we don't do so well at keeping resolutions is because they're done in the flesh. Only God's Spirit brings about lasting change as we surrender to His Working in us. And I've got a whole lot of stuff He needs to do in me this coming year!:-)

Hugs & blessings,
V.