Friday, June 01, 2007

Before the Need

I was taking photographs of a couple’s new modular home, still in two sections, when close to noon, the husband announced, “My wife went out to the car about 10:45 and everything was all right, but when she was ready to leave for work, the driver’s side window was broken.”

I thought he was joking at first. I hoped he was joking. My car was parked next to hers on their lawn in front of their trailer.

“Your windows are okay,” he assured me.

Still, I went to check. Sure enough, the driver’s window was a network of tiny cracks. It appeared someone had fired a pellet from the road and it had shattered the window. The point of impact was easily located and the trajectory angle showed it traveled just behind my car. Had I lined my car up directly beside hers, as I started to do when I arrived, my car would have been the one with the broken window.

While he waited for a Sheriff’s deputy to arrive, he told me how God took care of their need before they were aware they would have one.

He didn’t really want to go to the races. He was tired from a hard day of climbing up and down a ladder to roof a storage shed he had built, but his wife wanted to go. He was annoyed at folks trying to draw him into buying a ticket for a charity, so he refused to buy one. Until they climbed to their seats and came across a quiet, non-aggressive woman selling tickets. He purchased one, and his name was drawn.

They went home $250 richer. The best deal he could find on a new window was $200.

He enjoyed sharing the story with the work crew. God knew he would have a need before they did and God provided for it.

Sometimes we have to walk in faith, unable to see God’s hand in a situation. And sometimes we are gently reminded that he can, when he chooses, answer a need before we are even aware of one or have an opportunity to ask for his help.

www.mercyandpercy.com/

No comments: