Monday, June 04, 2007

Roller Shoes

I am of the firm opinion that if God intended for me to roll down the sidewalk while standing on my feet, I would have been born with wheels. Birds fly, fish swim and I walk. That’s why God created feet.

So I am not surprised to read of the staggering injuries occurring to children who wear the latest style of footwear: Roller shoes. (Whatever happened to roller skates?)

I believe if God intended for children to fall off their wheels while trying to balance on their heels, they would have been born with ankle straps, knee and elbow pads, a butt cushion, a nose protector and a helmet.

Children are being seriously hurt trying to be “cool” and fit in. It is natural for children to want to experiment and defy the laws of physics, and it is just as natural for parents to deny children the “pleasure” of wreaking havoc on their young bodies before they have a chance to fully develop.

Hats off to those parents who remain firm against the pitiful wails of their progeny, “But all my friends have roller shoes.” It doesn’t take a genius to figure out a child crying out of the frustration of not getting her way is far better than a child crying from the pain of shattered bones.

God did not give us a “Thou shalt not wear roller shoes” law, but as far as I know, roller shoes were not in vogue in Biblical days.

www.mercyandpercy.com

No comments: