Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Where Were You

Job has never been one of my favorite Bible books. I always found it very hard reading and Job's friends speeches incomprehensible. (Sorry, just being honest here.) But the last few chapters have always intrigued me. The ones where God asks Job, "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?"

The next four chapters extol some of God's awesome power and majesty to a chastened Job. I have always found these chapters awesome, but never as much as when I read it today -- very slowly -- in the New American Standard Bible.

God's wisdom and power make my, or rather our puny problems appear inconsequential. Whatever the difficulty that needs to be resolved, God is able to handle it. He is omniscient and omnipotent and he does deliver His children.

We are fortunate to have the words of Job to encourage us to seek to know God as He actually is and not as we tend to want to embrace Him.

When God finished speaking, Job, thoroughly humbled, said, "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees You." What a blessing!

If you would like to read any or all of Job in the New American Standard Bible, click here.

No comments: