Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sneaky Snake Bite

You can add another reason to your list of why over-imbibing disconnects your brain cells from reality.

First of all, I have doubts about the mentality of anyone who would keep a snake as a pet, and I know a number of people would argue against me on this subject, but I stand firm on this point. And here is a good example.

An Oregon man had a few beers with friends, opened his mouth and inserted his pet Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake’s head. (This is North America’s largest venomous snake.) What would most people assume would happen? Well, it did.

He was rushed to the hospital with enough venom in him to kill 12 to 15 people. His tongue swelled, filled his mouth and obstructed his airway. With an obstructed airway, he had only seven minutes to get major medical help before he died of asphyxiation.

The doctors put him in a medical coma for three days. Three weeks later, he is home, recovering well, and still handling his rattlesnake as casually as someone else would a pet Chihuahua. Since he is keeping the snake, he would be smart to give up the beer. But I doubt it.

To read one news report, click here.

No comments: